Fix “Windows update cannot currently check for updates because the service is not running” error – Windows 7
If you receive the following error when you try to check for updates on Windows 7 “Windows update cannot currently check for updates because the service is not running” then follow the steps in this guide to easily fix Windows Updates Error.
How resolve “Windows Update cannot currently check for updates – Service not running” error:
Step 1: Stop Windows Update Service.
1. Open Windows Services control panel: To do that:
- Press Windows + R keys to open the run command box.
- In the Search box, type: services.msc & click OK.
- (Accept the UAC warning if appears).
2. In Services control panel locate the Windows Update service.
3. Right-click on Windows Update service and select “Stop”.
Step 2: Delete SoftwareDistribution folder.
1. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to: C:\Windows folder.
2. Find and Delete the “SoftwareDistribution” folder (or rename it. e.g. to "SoftwareDistributionOLD") .
Step 3: Start Windows Update Service.
1. Now go back to Windows Services control panel:
2. Right-click on Windows Update service and select “Start”.
3. Try to check for Updates again.
- FIX: TEAMS Sign-in error on Mac 'Selected user account does not exist in tenant Microsoft Services and cannot access the application' (Solved) - December 4, 2023
- How to Upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11 from ISO file. - November 29, 2023
- How to Update to Windows 11 23H2 On Unsupported Hardware. - November 27, 2023