If you face the error 0xc1900223 in Feature Update to Windows 10, version 2004, then continue reading below. The Windows 10 update error 0xc1900223, usually occurs when the update process was interrupted for any reason. (e.g. there is not enough disk space to install the update, network problems, the computer shut down before the update installation is complete, etc.).
This tutorial contains several methods to solve the update error: "Feature Update to Windows 10, version 2004 failed with Error 0xc1900223."
How to FIX Windows 10 v2004 Update Error 0xc1900223.
Method 1. Prepare your PC for the Windows Update.
The first method, to resolve the update error 0xc1900223 in Windows 10, is to apply the following actions:
Step 1. Ensure that you have enough free space on your disk. Windows 10 requires at least 32 GB of free space to upgrade.
Step 2. Run Disk Cleanup and delete all the useless files, by following the instructions below:
1. Open Windows Explorer.
2. Right click at the Local Disk C: and choose Properties.
3. Click the Disk Cleanup button.
4. Click the Clean up system files button.
5. Leave checked all the default files to delete, and ensure that the following are selected.
- Temporary Windows installation files
- Previous Driver Setup Packages
- Windows Update Cleanup
- Windows upgrade log files.
6. When done, click OK and leave the system to clean the selected files.
7. When the process is completed, close all windows and restart your PC.
Step 3. Download and install the latest Servicing Stack update according your Windows 10 version.
Step 4. Temporally disable your Antivirus Real Time protection, or temporarily uninstall any non-Microsoft Antivirus/Security software.
Step 5. If you're using Pi-hole as your DNS provider, then temporally disable or uninstall it, by running the appropriate command in command prompt, or change the DNS Servers in Windows, by following the instructions in method 6 below.
- pihole disable
- pihole uninstall
Step 6. Go to Settings -> Update and Security -> and click Check for Updates.
Method 2. Re-Download the Windows Update(s).
The most effective solution to troubleshoot Windows 10 update problems, is to force Windows to download the updates from scratch. To do that:
Step 1: STOP the Windows Update Service.
1. Open Windows Services control panel: To do that:
- Press Windows + R keys to open the run command box.
- In the Search box, type: services.msc & click OK.
2. In Services control panel locate the "Windows Update" service.
3. Right-click on Windows Update service and select "Stop".
Step 2: Delete the SoftwareDistribution folder.
1. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to: C:\Windows folder.
2. Find and Delete the "SoftwareDistribution" folder (or rename it. e.g. to "SoftwareDistributionOLD") . *
* Note: If you cannot delete the folder, start Windows in Safe Mode.
Step 3: START the Windows Update Service.
1. Open Windows Services control panel.
2. Right-click on Windows Update service and select "Start".
Step 4. Go to Settings -> Update and Security -> and click Check for Updates.
Method 3. Update Windows 10 by using the Update Assistant.
1. Navigate to Windows 10 download site and click the Update now button.
2. Save the "Windows10Upgrade9252.exe" file on your desktop.
3. Double click at the downloaded file to open the Windows Upgrade Assistant.
4. Click Update Now to start the update.
5. Let Windows to finish the downloading and the verification.
6. When the verification is reaches 100%, disconnect your computer from the Internet, (or set it to "Airplane mode" if you own a laptop).
7. Wait until Windows updating your system.
8. When prompted, restart your system to install the update.
Method 4. Update Windows 10 from ISO or USB.
The next method to bypass problems while installing updates in Windows 10, is to update Windows, from the Windows ISO file. To do that:
Step 1. Download Windows 10 in a ISO File.
1. Navigate to Windows 10 download page and download the Media Creation Tool.
2. Run the 'Media Creation Tool' and Accept the License Terms at the first screen.
3. Select Create installation media for another PC.
4. At 'Language, architecture and edition' screen click Next.
5. Select ISO file and click Next.
6. Save the 'Windows.iso' file to your desktop.
7. The Media Creation Tool will now begin to download the Windows 10 in an ISO format.
8. When the download is completed, close the Media Creation Tool.
Step 2. Update Windows 10 from the ISO file.
1. Double-click at the Windows.ISO file on your desktop.
2. Open File Explorer and explore the contents of the new drive letter created after opening the ISO file.
3. Double click at setup.exe and then click Next to install Windows 10.
4. Accept the License Terms and then click Install.
5. Now wait the update process to complete. *
Method 5. Repair Windows Component Store & System Files.
1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
2. In command prompt give the following command and press Enter:
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
3. When the process is completed, give the following command:
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
4. When the DISM operation is completed, type the following command and hit Enter:
- sfc /scannow
5. Now wait until the System File Checker repairs the Windows System Files.
6. When this done, restart your computer.
Method 6. Change DNS Settings.
2. Select Ethernet (or Wi-Fi) on the left, and then at 'Related settings' section, click Change adapter options.
3. Right click on the active Network Adapter (Ethernet or Wi-Fi) and select Properties.
4. Select the 'Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)' and click Properties
5. At Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) properties:
a. Check the Use the following DNS server addresses: radio button.
b. Then, type the following DNS server addresses (Google's public DNS Servers) and click OK.
6. Restart your computer and try to install updates.
Method 7. Clean Install Windows 10.
The last method, to fix the Windows 10 update error 0xc1900223, is to perform a clean installation of Windows 10 on your system. To do that, read the instructions on this article: How to clean install Windows 10.
Important: The clean installation of Windows 10 , means that all your files and settings will be lost during the installation process. So, proceed and backup all your important files and settings to another storage media (e.g. to an external USB drive) before continue to clean install Windows 10.
That's all folks! Which method worked for you? Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about this solution.