EML files, are archived mail messages which created (saved) using Microsoft Outlook Express program. If you have changed your old Windows XP computer (with Outlook Express installed) to a new one with Windows 10, 8 or Windows 7 and you have EML files that you want to view, then you will realize that you cannot view these files, without having an email client program, such as Outlook* or Thunderbird, installed on your system.
This happens because in latest Operating Systems, Microsoft doesn't offer a native program to open .EML files.
* Note: In order to open an EML file in Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016 or Thunderbird, right click on the EML file and select "Open With". Then select Outlook (or Thunderbird). If you 're using Outlook 2007, read this article.
If you have .EML files (Outlook Express archived e-Mails) and you want to view these .eml files in a Windows 10, 8 or 7 computer, without installing an email client program, then you have the following options to open the EML files.
How to view EML files in Windows 8, 8.1 & 10.
Method 1. View .EML files with Microsoft Word.
If you have Microsoft Word installed on your computer, then;
1. From File menu choose Open.
2. Choose to view All Files.
3. Select the .EML file that you want to view and click Open.
Method 2. Change .EML extension to .MHT.
Another good way method, to open .EML messages is to change the extension from .EML to .MHT in order to view them in Internet Explorer. To do that:
1. Go to Control Panel > Folder Options.
2. At View tab, uncheck the Hide extensions for know file types and click OK.
3. Then change the .EML extension to .MHT. (e.g. from "Samle.eml" to "Sample.mht").
4. Double click on the .MHT file to view it with Internet Explorer.
Method 3. View .EML files with Windows Live Mail.
The second option you have to open .EML messages, is the Windows Live Mail, a free program from Microsoft which is part of Windows Essentials.
1.Download and save Microsoft's Windows Live Essentials setup application to your computer. *
* Note: Unfortunately, Windows Live Essentials suite, reached end of support on January 10, 2017, so this method works only if you're already have the suite installed on your system.
2. Launch wlsetup-web.exe application and at the first setup screen select Choose the programs you want to install.
3. At the next screen leave checked only the Mail program and click Install.
4. When the installation is completed, you will be able to open .EML files on your computer. Just right-click on an .EML message and choose Open with > Windows Live Mail.
That’s all folks! Did it work for you?
Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about this.