FIX: Application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000022 (Solved)
In this guide you'll find detailed instructions to resolve the error 0xc0000022 in Windows 10, 8 or 7 OS. "The Application was unable to start correctly, (0xc0000022). Click OK to close the application". Error 0xc0000022 usually appears after installing a Windows Update or due to insufficient permissions on the program you want to run.
In other cases, the 0xc0000022 problem may be caused by a virus infection or by missing Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable packages.
In this tutorial you 'll find several methods to fix the error 0xc0000022: Application was unable to start correctly, in Windows 10, 8/8.1 & 7 OS.
HOW TO FIX: APPLICATION WAS UNABLE TO START CORRECTLY (0xc0000022)
Suggestion: Before troubleshooting any issues on your PC, first make sure that the problems persists, even after restarting your computer and installing all available updates. Additionally make sure that your security software doesn't prevent programs from running.
Method 1. Uninstall Latest Updates.
Important: If you receive the error 0xc0000022 after installing updates, then proceed and uninstall the latest updates, or restore your PC to a previous working state. *
1. If you receive error 0xc0000022 while trying to start Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.), proceed and repair the MS Office installation by using the instructions on this article: How to Repair Microsoft Office 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010 or 2007
2. If you are using a third-party antivirus program, try disabling it and see if the 0xc0000022 error problem is resolved.
Method 2: Run the Application as Administrator.
In some cases, the 0xc0000022 error can be resolved if you run the program in compatibility mode or with Administrative rights.. To apply this fix:
1. Right-click on the application causing the 0xc0000022 error and select Properties.
2. At Compatibility tab:
a. Check the Run this program in compatibility mode checkbox.
b. Select a previous version of Windows (e.g. Windows 8 or Windows 7)
c. Click OK to apply changes.
3. Now check if the application works. If not, right-click on the application again, check the option Run this program as an administrator, hit OK and try to run the program again.
Method 3. Scan your system for Viruses and Malware.
The second step before troubleshooting the error 0xc0000022 "Application was unable to start correctly", is to ensure that your system is virus/malware free. For that task follow the instructions in this guide: How To Scan Your Computer for Viruses and other Malicious Programs.
Method 3. Reinstall Microsoft's Visual C++ Redistributable.
1. Navigate to Microsoft's Visual C++ Redistributable packages download page.
2. Download both versions (32 & 64-bit), of Visual C++ packages. (vc_redist.x86.exe & vc_redist.x64.exe)
3. Now go ahead and install the 32-bit version of the Visual C++ Redistributable package first and then the 64-bit version.
4. After the installation, restart your computer and check if the 0xc0000022 error resolved.
Method 6. Start Windows in Clean Boot State.
The final method, to resolve the application error 0xc0000022, is to start Windows in a "clean boot" state, in order to identify if a loaded program or service causes the 0xc0000022 error. To start Windows in Clean Boot state:
1. Press Windows + R keys to open the run command box.
2. In the Search box, type: msconfig & click OK to launch the System Configuration utility.
3. At Services tab, Hide all Microsoft Services checkbox and then press the Disable All button, to prevent all non Microsoft services from starting at Windows startup.
4. Then select the Startup tab, and Disable all other programs which starting during Windows startup and run on the background. *
* Note: On Windows 10 or 8, click Open Task Manager in the Startup tab, in order to disable the startup programs.
5. When done, click OK and Restart your computer.
6. After restart, try to launch the application that displays the error 0xc0000022. If the problem has resolved, then launch the System Configuration utility again and enable one by one all the disabled items (and restart your system), until you locate which one causes the problem. *
* Note: To exit from Clean Boot state, launch the System Configuration utility and at the General Tab choose Normal startup.
Method 7. Change Permissions on the Executable File.
1. Right-click on the executable file (.exe) of the program that gives the 0xc0000022 error and select Properties.
2. In Security tab, click Advanced.
3. In Advanced security settings click Change Permissions.
4. Click Add
5. Click Select a Principal
6. Type your account name and hit OK
7. Then, choose Full control and click OK.
8. Finally, click Apply > OK and OK again to close all windows
9. Now run the program.
That’s all folks! Did it work for you?
Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about this solution.