On some Windows 8, 7 or Vista computers the Windows Update service may be missing from services (services.msc) due to a virus attack. When this happens the following error appears on your screen when you try to check for updates : “Windows update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer’.
This tutorial contains detailed instructions on how to restore Windows Update service in it’s original state.
How to solve the Windows Update service missing problem.
In order to fix the Windows Update Service missing problem, first make sure that your computer is clean from viruses or other malicious programs. If you don’t know how to do that, then follow the steps in this guide: How To Scan Your Computer for Viruses & Other Malicious Programs
Method 1. Reset Windows Update Components.
1. According your Windows Version: Click the link below and download and save the Windows Update Reset tool to your computer:
2. Run the Windows Update Reset (Troubleshooter) tool and follow the instructions on your screen.
Method 2: Use Microsoft FixIt 50202 to repair Windows Update service.
1. Download & save MicrosoftFixit50202 tool on your computer.
2. Run the MicrosoftFixit50202 tool.
3. Accept the license agreement and then press Next.
4. Follow the instructions on screen.
Method 3. Restore invalid/missing registry keys from a working system.
For this method you need one working Windows 7 or Vista computer.
On the working computer:
1. Open Registry Editor: To do that:
- Simultaneously press “Windows” + “R” keys to open the RUN window.
- In “RUN” window “Open” box, type: regedit
- Press Enter
2. At the left pane, press the “+” sign and navigate to this subfolder:
3. Right-click on BITS subfolder and select Export.
4. Give a name for the exported file (e.g. ‘BITS‘) and save it to the desktop.
5. Then navigate to this subfolder:
6. Right-click on wuauserv subfolder and select Export.
7. Give a name for the exported file (e.g. ‘wuauserv‘) and save it to the desktop.
8. Close registry editor
9. Copy the exported registry files to a USB flash drive.
On the computer that Windows Update is missing (not listed).
1. Plug the USB flash drive with the exported reg files to an empty USB port.
2. Double click at the exported BITS registry file (e.g. “BITS.reg) and allow to add its information to registry.
3. Double click at the exported wuauserv registry file (e.g.”wuauserv‘.reg “) and allow to add its information to registry.
4. Restart the computer.
5. Check if Windows Update is working.
That’s all folks! Did it work for you?
Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about this solution.