If you receive the Windows Update error code 80072EE2 while searching for updates, then probably the Windows update store folder is corrupted and you have to re-created it or there is exist a policy set defining a automatic update server inside Windows Registry.
Problem Description: Error Code 80072EE2 is received whenever Windows tries to search for Updates via Windows Update.
In this article you can find detailed instructions on how to resolve “Code 0x80072EE2” error in Windows update.
How to fix error 80072EE2 in Windows Update.
Method 1. Check your Date and Time Settings.
First make sure that your date and time settings are correct.
Method 2. Delete the Automatic Update Server settings from Registry.
2. Type regedit and press Enter.
3. In Windows registry editor locate the following key:
4. Now right click at AU key and select Delete.
5. Reboot your computer and then check for updates.
Method 3. Delete the SoftwareDistribution Folder.
Step 1: Stop Windows Update Service.
1. Open Windows Services control panel: To do that:
- Press Windows + R keys to open the run command box.
- In the Search box, type: services.msc & click OK.
- (Accept the UAC warning if appears).
2. In Services control panel locate the Windows Update service.
3. Right-click on Windows Update service and select “Stop”.
Step 2: Delete the SoftwareDistribution folder.
1. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to: C:\Windows folder.
2. Find and Delete the “SoftwareDistribution” folder (or rename it. e.g. to “SoftwareDistributionOLD”) .
Step 3: Start Windows Update Service.
1. Now go back to Windows Services control panel:
2. Right-click on Windows Update service and select “Start”.
3. Try to check for Updates again.
That’s all folks! Did it work for you?
Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about this solution.