This tutorial contains instructions on how to repair a damaged Outlook PST file with the Microsoft Inbox Repair Tool. The Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst.exe) is a very useful utility provided by Microsoft to repair Outlook data files (PST files) and is available in all Outlook versions (from 2003 up to 2019 .
If Outlook crashes or if you face other problems with Microsoft Outlook (e.g. Outlook freezes or not responding), then follow the instructions below to repair the outlook PST files, with the "Scanpst.exe" repair tool.
How to use the Outlook Inbox Repair Tool to repair the Outlook Data File (PST).
Step 1. Locate the OUTLOOK PST DATA File(s) that you want to repair.
1. Close Outlook.
2. Navigate to Control Panel and open Mail. (If you don't view the Mail item, change the View By: to Small Icons)
3. Click Data Files button.
4. Note the path where the Outlook Data File (e.g. Outlook.pst) is stored on your computer and then close Mail Options.
Step 2. Repair the Outlook PST DATA File with SCANPST
1. To repair the Outlook PST data files, double click at "SCANPST.EXE", from the following location on your disk: *
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\%OfficeVersion%\SCANPST.EXE
* Note: The location of "scanpst.exe", is different for every version of Outlook & Windows you have installed. Bellow are mentioned the locations of the "SCANPST.EXE" file, according the installed Windows and Office version.
32-bit Windows > C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16
64-bit Windows > C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16
64-bit Outlook > C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16
Click-to-Run > C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
32-bit Windows > C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15
64-bit Windows > C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15
64-bit Outlook > C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15
Click-to-Run > C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office15
32-bit Windows > C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
64-bit Windows > C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
64-bit Outlook > C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
32-bit Windows > C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
64-bit Windows > C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12
32-bit Windows > C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\<locale ID>
64-bit Windows > C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\<locale ID>
C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MAPI\<locale ID>\scanpst.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MAPI\<locale ID>\NT\scanpst.exe
2. Click Browse and select the Outlook Data File that you want to repair. (e.g. Outlook.pst)
3. Finally press Start to start repair.
4. Wait until the Outlook PST Repair is completed and then close the Inbox Repair Tool utility.
5. Open Outlook.
That’s all folks! Did it work for you?
Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about this.