The “Scanpst.exe” (aka “Inbox Repair Tool”) is a very useful utility provided by Microsoft to repair Outlook data files (PST files). The Inbox Repair Tool, can be used to fix corrupted PST files and is available to all Outlook versions from 2003 up to 2013. If Outlook displays a message says that your personal data file (PST) is corrupted or has errors or you face problems with Outlook (e.g. Outlook freezes or not responding) then you can use the Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst.exe) to fix these problems.
SCANPST.EXE (Outlook Repair Tool) locations.
The location of “scanpst.exe”, is different for every version of Outlook & Windows you have installed.
32-bit Windows > C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15
64-bit Windows > C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15
64-bit Outlook > C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15
Click-to-Run > C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15
32-bit Windows > C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
64-bit Windows > C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
64-bit Outlook > C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
32-bit Windows > C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
64-bit Windows > C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12
32-bit Windows > C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\<locale ID>
64-bit Windows > C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\<locale ID>
C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MAPI\<locale ID>\scanpst.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MAPI\<locale ID>\NT\scanpst.exe
How to use the Outlook Inbox Repair Tool to repair Outlook Data File (PST).
To fix a damaged Outlook PST file:
1. Close Outlook.
2. Navigate to Control Panel and open Mail. (If you don’t view the Mail item, change the View By: to Small Icons)
3. Click Data Files button.
4. Note the path where the Outlook Data File (e.g. Outlook.pst) is stored on your computer and then close Mail Options.
5. Then double click at SCANPST.EXE to open the Inbox Repair Tool utility.
6. Click Browse and select the Outlook Data File that you want to repair. (e.g. Outlook.pst)
7. Finally press Start to start repair.
8. Wait until the Outlook PST Repair is completed and then close the Inbox Repair Tool utility.
9. Open Outlook.
That’s all folks! Did it work for you?
Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about this.