If the Windows Defender icon missing from Taskbar, continue reading this tutorial to fix the issue. This guide contains several methods to show the Windows Defender icon on Windows 10 taskbar.
As you know, the Windows Defender is the free antivirus and antispyware protection offered by Microsoft in Windows 10. The Windows Defender application (also know as "Windows Security") is installed by default with Windows 10 and protects you from viruses, spyware and other unwanted software in real-time.
The most common and easiest way to verify your protection status with Windows Defender in Windows 10 is to view its relevant icon in the taskbar.
If you cannot see the Windows Defender icon on the taskbar, one of the following may occur::
- You 're using a third-party antivirus for your protection. In this case, Windows Defender is disabled and this is normal.
- Windows Defender may have been disabled on your system by a malware program.
- Windows Defender icon is disabled on Windows 10 Settings.
How to FIX: Windows Defender Taskbar icon is Missing on Windows 10.
Step 1. Verify that Windows Defender is Running and Protects you.
3. If Windows Defender is the only antivirus on your PC and protects you, then you should see the screen below (with the indication "No action required" on all items).*
1. If you 're using another antivirus on your system, then at this screen you should be informed that Windows Defender is disabled because you 're protected with the third-party antivirus.
2. If you 're not using a third party antivirus and Windows Defender is disabled then try to enable it and if you can't proceed and perform a malware scan on your system by using the instructions on this tutorial.
Step 2. Show Windows Defender icon on Taskbar.
The first method to fix the "Windows Defender icon is not showing in system tray" issue, is to turn on the Windows Defender notification icon in Taskbar options.
1. Right-click on Taskbar and open Taskbar Settings. *
2. Scroll down and at Notification area section, click Select which icons appear on taskbar.
3. Set the Windows Security Notification icon toggle to On to show the Windows Defender icon at taskbar.
4. Now check if the Windows Defender icon appears on Taskbar and if not, continue to step-3 below.
Step 3. Enable Windows Defender icon at Windows Startup.
If you enabled the notification icon of Windows Defender in Taskbar and the icon is still missing, then probably is disabled at startup.
1. Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC keys to open Task Manager. *
* Note: Additionally, press CTRL + ALT + DEL and click Task Manager.
2a. In Task Manager window select the Startup tab.
2b.If the Windows Security Notification icon status is disabled, select it & click Enable.
3. Restart your PC and the Windows Defender notification icon should appear on Taskbar.
That’s all folks! Did it work for you?
Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about this solution.
- How to Always Open PowerShell or Command Prompt as Administrator. - February 29, 2024
- FIX: Outlook emails or folders are missing. (Solved) - February 22, 2024
- FIX: Chrome Remote Desktop unable to Connect to host. - February 20, 2024