FIX: EDGE Closes Immediately after Opening. (Solved)
If your EDGE browser closes unexpectedly or immediately after opening, then reading the instructions below to fix the problem.
Problems that can be solved with the instructions in this guide: Microsoft Edge browser closes immediately after opening or if there are multiple tabs open. Also follow the instructions below if the Edge browser crashes or stops responding. (Applies to Windows 10/11)
How to fix: EDGE Closes or Crashes or Not Responding in Windows 11/10.
Method 1. Update Microsoft Edge.
The first method to fix EDGE problems, is to check if there is available an update for your browser. To do that:
1. Click the 3 dots towards the top right corner and go to Help and Feedback > About Microsoft Edge.
2. Let the browser to check and install any available update and then check if the problem is resolved.
Method 2. Clear EDGE's Browsing Data.
One reason why Edge may hang and close immediately after opening is because of the large amount of cached data. So proceed and clear EDGE's browsing data and see if that fixes the problem.
1. Click the 3 dots at the top right corner, click Settings and then choose Privacy, search & services at the left.
2. At the right side, scroll down and under Clear browsing data, click Choose what to clear.
3. Select All time, ensure that only the first 4 checkboxes are checked and click Clear now.
4. When the cleaning is completed, restart EDGE and check if the problem is fixed.
Method 3. Reset Microsoft Edge to default settings.
Another common reason why EDGE may crash and shut down suddenly is a bad extension or an incorrect configuration. In such a case, resetting EDGE to default settings may resolve the problem.
1. Click the 3 dots at the top right corner and click Settings.
2. Now choose Reset Settings at the left side and click Restore setting to their default values.
3. Finally click Reset, to reset all EDGE settings, including the startup and new tab pages, to disable all browser extensions and to clear the temporary data (cookies, cache, etc..)
4. Restart Microsoft EDGE and check if the problem is fixed.
Method 4. Repair Microsoft Edge.
If the Microsoft EDGE application is damaged it may cause the browser to close suddenly or crash immediately after opening it. So try repairing Edge and see if that solves the problem.
1. Right click in Start menu and choose Settings.
2. Go to Apps and select Apps and features.
3. Find the Microsoft Edge in the list and click Modify (from the three dots menu in Windows 11)
4. Click Yes at the warning message and then click Repair to repair Microsoft Edge.
5. When the installation is completed, click Close and start Microsoft Edge to check is the problem is fixed.
Method 4. Remove and Re-Install Microsoft Edge.
The final method to fix the Microsoft Edge issues, is to remove and install again the browser using the instructions below:
1. Open File Explorer and copy-paste the following path in address bar. Then press Enter.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\
2a. Double-click on the folder named with numbers (which indicates the installed version of EDGE). *
* Note: If you see two or more folders named with numbers, open the most recent one (see the creation date).
2b. Then open the installer folder.
2c. Finally, select the folder path in the address bar, and right-click > Copy.
3. Now open Command Prompt as Administrator.
4a. Type cd and then press CTRL+V to paste to copied folder path. When done, press Enter.
4b. Finally, copy-paste the below command and hit Enter, to uninstall Microsoft Edge:
- setup.exe –uninstall –system-level –verbose-logging –force-uninstall
5. When the command is executed, close the Command Prompt window and open the Microsoft Store.
6. Type Microsoft Edge in the search box and then click on Microsoft Edge Browser app in the results.
7. Finally click Install to reinstall Microsoft Edge on your system. (When prompted click on the UAC warning message to proceed with the installation.
That’s all folks! Did it work for you?
Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about this solution.