After upgrading a based Windows 7 or 8.1 computer to Windows 10, Office Documents (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) cannot open anymore and the the following error is displayed: "Word experienced an error trying to open the file. Try these suggestions: Check the file permissions of the document or drive. Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space. Open the file with the text recovery converter".
The Office error message "Word experienced an error trying to open the file" can be also displayed while you try to open a file that you have received from an Internet source (email, Facebook, etc.).
This tutorial contains instructions on how to resolve the following errors when you try to open Office documents:
- Word experienced an error trying to open the file.
- This file is corrupt and cannot be opened (Excel)
- The application was unable to start correctly (PowerPoint)
- PowerPoint found a problem with file,
- Sorry, PowerPoint can’t read file.
How to fix: Cannot Open Office Documents After Windows Upgrade.
Method 1. Add Drive "C:" as a Trusted Location.
1. Open any Office program. (Word, Excel, etc.).
2. From the File menu click Options.
2. Select Trust Center on the left pane and then click Trust Center Settings.
3. At Trusted Locations options, click Add new location.
4. Inside the "Path" box type: C:\ and then check the "Subfolders of this location are also trusted" checkbox.
5. Click OK three (3) to apply the changes.
6. Now try to open Office documents.
Method 2. Repair Office Installation
1. Navigate to Windows Control Panel > Programs and features.
2. Locate and select the MS Office application and then click Change.
3. Select the Repair option.
Method 3. Update Microsoft Office.
1. Open any Office program. (Word, Excel, etc.)
2. From the File menu select Help and then Check for Updates. *
* For Office 2016 go to: File > Account > Update Options > Update Now.
That’s all folks! Did it work for you?
Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about this.