If you want to learn all the available ways to delete a user and it's user profile folder from a Windows 10/11 PC, then continue reading below.
When you create a new user account, Windows automatically creates a new profile folder for the new account to store all the files and settings related to it. The Profile Folder has the name of the new account and is stored under the "C:\Users" folder (e.g. If you create a new account with name "John" the profile folder for that account is the "C:\Users\John").
If you decide in the future to delete the account you created and remove everything related to it and you don't know how to do it, in this tutorial you will find three (3) different methods to perform that task.
How to Completely Remove a User Account and the User's Data in Windows 11/10.
Important: Before you delete an account, make sure you don't want its files and data, or back them up to another storage location.
To delete a user and the user profile folder in Windows 10/11 you can use any of the methods below. *
1. If you want to only to remove only the user profile folder in order to restore it to default settings (e.g. if the user profile is corrupted), proceed to step-2 on method-3 below.
2. The methods 2 & 3 also applies to Windows 8 & 7 OS.
- Method 1. Delete User Account from Settings options.
- Method 2. Delete Account from Control Panel.
- Method 3. Delete User Account by using the 'User Accounts' utility in Windows 10/8.
Method 1. Delete User Account & User Data from Settings options.
The first method to remove a users and it's data from Windows 10/11 is from the Account options.
1. Sign-in to Windows with an Administrator account.
3. At Family & other users, select the account your want to delete and click Remove.
4. Finally, select Delete account and data to remove all of the user's files and information stored in their profile folder.
Method 2. Delete User and User Profile from Control Panel.
One of the classic methods to remove a user and its files on all Windows versions is from Control Panel.
1. Type control panel in search area and click Open.
2. Open User Accounts.
3. Click Remove user accounts.
4. Click on User that you want to remove and then select Delete the account.
5. When prompted, click Delete files to remove also the account's data.
Method 3. Remove User & Delete User Profile folder in Windows 11/10/8.
The final method to delete user and remove all its data from the user's profile folders is the following:
Step 1. Delete User by using the 'User Accounts' utility.
3. In Users tab, select the user that you want to delete from Windows 10/11 and click the Remove button.
4. When prompted click Yes to confirm the account deletion.
Step 2. Delete User Profile in System Settings.
After deleting the user, all it's files and settings are remain on its user profile folder (e.g. C:\Users\Username). To remove all its files proceed as follows.
3. At User Profiles click Settings.
4. Select the Account Unknown and click Delete.
5. Click Yes to confirm the deletion and you're done!
That's all folks! Which method worked for you?
Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about this solution.