How to Change Windows Password (Windows 10/11)
For security reasons, it's good practice to change your Windows password often, especially if you share your computer with others. Also, protecting your devices with strong passwords keeps you and your data safe from prying eyes.
In the list below, you will find several methods for changing the password of your local account in Windows 10/11 OS.*
* Note: If you are logged on to Windows with a Microsoft account and want to change your Windows password:
1. Sign-in to your Microsoft Account.
2. Select the Security tab and type your password to verify your identity.
3. At Password security section, click Change my password.
4. After changing your password restart your Windows device and login with the new password.
How to Change to Reset Password in Windows 11/10.*
To change your Windows password or to reset another user's password in Windows, follow one of the methods below. If you want to reset the password to your user account in case you have forgotten it, read the instructions on this article: How to Reset Windows 10/11 Password if you forget it.
Method 1. Change Password using CTRL + ALT + DELETE.
The easiest way to change your password in Windows in to press Ctrl + ALT +DEL and to click Change a password.
2. Then type your current password and the new password twice and click OK.
Method 2. Change Windows Password in PC Settings.
1. Navigate to go to Start menu -> Settings -> Accounts
2. Select Sign-in options and the left, and click Change Password at right.
Click on Sign-in options from the left pane. Then, select Password in the right side of the window.
3. Type your current password and click Next.
4. Type the new password twice to confirm it and click Next.
Method 3. Change Windows Password in Control Panel.
To change your account password or reset the password of other accounts from Control Panel.
1. Login in Windows with an Administrator account.
2. Navigate to Control Panel > User Accounts, or…
3. Click Manage another account
4. Select the account that you want to change its password and then select Change the password.
Method 4. Change Password in Command Prompt.
To change or to reset the Windows password from command prompt:
1. Open Command Prompt As Administrator.
2. At command prompt type the following command and press Enter:*
- net user username password
1. Where username is your Windows account name and password is the new password that you want to use.
e.g. if you want to change the password of the user "Admin" to "123" type the following command:
- net user Admin 123
2. In case you want to change the password of another user, give the below command to find out the username of the user and then give the above command to change its password.
- net user
That's all folks! Which method worked for you? Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about this solution.