The Media Creation Tool Error 0x80072F76-0x20017 can appear when you try to create a Windows 10 USB installation media. When the problem is occurred displays the following error message on screen: "There is a problem running this tool. We 're not sure what happened. but we're unable to run this tool on your PC. If you continue experiencing problems, reference the error code when contacting customer support. Error code: 0x80072F76-0x20017". As a result of the "Media Creation Tool" problem, the user cannot create the Windows 10 installation media that needs.
This tutorial contains instructions to bypass the Media Creation Tool Error 0x80072F76-0x20017.
How to resolve Error 0x80072F76-0x20017 when running Microsoft's Media Creation Tool.
Step 1. Download Windows 10 with Windows ISO Downloader tool.
1. Download the Windows ISO Downloader tool. (aka: "Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool")
2. Run the "Windows ISO Downloader.exe".
3. At he right side select the Windows version that you want to download.
4. At the left side, select the Edition.
5. Click Confirm.
6. At the next screen choose your desired Windows Language and click Confirm again.
7. Then click the "32-bit Download" or the "64-bit Download" button, according the version that you want to download/install.
8. Click Save twice to download the Windows 10 ISO file on your computer.
9. When the download is completed proceed to the next step.
Step 2. Create a Windows 10 installation Media (USB or DVD).
The next step is to create a DVD or a USB Windows installation media.
To create a Windows 10 DVD installation media:
1. Right click on the Windows ISO image you downloaded at step-1 and select Burn Image.
2. Put an empty DVD disc, on your DVRW drive and then click Burn.
To create a Windows 10 USB installation media:
1. Download the latest version of Rufus Creator Utility from http://rufus.akeo.ie/.
2. Plug an EMPTY USB flash drive on your computer.
3. Run "Rufus Creator Utility"
4. Choose the empty USB drive on the top. (Device).
5. Then specify in RUFUS options, in what system (UEFI or Legacy) you want to use the installation media and then continue to step (6).
- UEFI: If you want to use the Windows 10 installation media on a UEFI based System, set the following settings in RUFUS:
- Partition scheme and target system type: GPT partition scheme for UEFI. *
- File system: FAT32 (Default).
- Cluster size: 16 kilobytes (Default).
* Note: In order to boot from a UEFI USB flash drive, enter in BIOS setup and apply the following settings:
1. Set the Boot configuration to: UEFI
2. Temporarily Disable the Secure Boot mode until the Windows installation is completed.
3. Temporarily Disable the Fast Boot mode until the Windows installation is completed.
4. Boot Order: First Boot device = USB Hard Drive.
- Legacy: If you want to use the Windows 10 installation media on a MBR based System, set the following settings in RUFUS:
- Partition scheme and target system type: MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI-CSM. *
- File system: NTFS.
- Cluster size: 4096 bytes (default).
* Note: In order to boot from a Legacy USB flash drive, you must apply these settings in BIOS:
1. Set the Boot configuration to: Legacy.
2. Disable the Secure Boot mode.
3. Boot Order: First Boot device = USB Hard Drive.
6. When done with the above settings, press the "Click to select image" icon.
7. Select the Windows 10 ISO image file you downloaded in step-1 and click Open.
8. Finally click the Start button to create the Windows 10 USB installation and recovery media.
That’s all folks! Did it work for you?
Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about this.