In a previous tutorial I mentioned the steps required to install XPS Viewer on Windows 10. But, some users complaining that they cannot install XPS Viewer, because the XPS viewer is not listed after pressing the 'Add a feature' button (Apps > Manage optional features > Add a feature), or cannot be installed.
This tutorial contains instructions on how to troubleshoot XPS viewer installation problems in Windows 10 1803 & 1809 versions.
How to Resolve XPS Viewer installation problems in Windows 10.
Method 1. Uninstall and Reinstall Microsoft XPS Document Writer.
1. Open Programs and Features and then click Turn Windows features on or off.
2. Uncheck the Microsoft XPS Document Writer box and hit OK.
3. Now click the Turn Windows features on or off again and check the Microsoft XPS Document Writer box and click OK.
4. Restart your PC.
5. Try to install the XPS Viewer.
Method 2. Install XPS Viewer by using the DISM command.
1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
2. In command prompt, give the following command and press Enter.
- dism /Online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:XPS.Viewer~~~~0.0.1.0
Method 3. Download XPS Viewer from Windows Update instead of WSUS. (Windows 10 Pro & Enterprise).
If you 're using Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise, then apply the following steps in Group Policy Editor. *
* Note: If the computer belongs to a Domain, you need to modify the domain group policy settings (GPO) and then to run the "gpupdate /force" command, before installing XPS Viewer.
1. Open Group Policy Editor. To do that:
2. At the left pane navigate to:
- Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System
3. At the right pane double click at Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair
4. Set the policy to Enabled and then check the Download repair content and optional features directly from Windows Update instead of Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) box.
5. When done, click Apply and OK and restart your PC.
6. After restart, try to install the XPS Viewer by using the DISM method above.
7. After XPS viewer installation, open Group Policy Editor and revert back the changes.
That's all folks! Did it work for you?
Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about this solution.