What is a Facebook virus?
A Facebook virus is any malware application that can be installed into your Facebook profile (or your computer) and after installed, it can spam your friends with fake messages with web links that are supposed to be send by you in order to also compromise their profile security. In the worst scenario, a Facebook virus can compromise your computer security in order to steal your personal information, to monitor your computer activity or to spread malware programs to your Facebook’s friends list.
Why should you remove it?
The Facebook virus can infect your FB account or your computer, if you allow a malicious application to access your FB account (profile) or if you click at a malicious link that is suggested by one of your friends (of your FB friends list) or from an unknown Facebook user that wants you to accept his friend request (Facebook Friend Request virus).
These types of malicious Facebook apps commonly claim that you can see which user has been looking on your Facebook profile and ask you to give them unlimited permissions to access your account. On the other hand, the malicious scam messages that are supposedly send from your Facebook friends (or unknown Facebook users) contain malicious links that promise interesting material like a nice video. After accepting to view (or to access) the offered material, then the malicious software will be installed on your Facebook account (and your computer) and from that moment on, the nasty software will try to steal your personal information and also to compromise your friends' privacy and security by sending them scam messages or by posting into your FB wall (Facebook automatically Wall Post virus).
You MUST remove the ‘Facebook” virus infection A.S.A.P. Your computer and your privacy is at a great risk! Never underestimate the power that these nasty programs can have on your life.
How to remove the Facebook virus?
You can easily get rid of “Facebook” virus infection by following the steps given below:
Step 1: Remove malicious applications from your Facebook profile (Account settings).
1. Login to your Facebook account.
2. Go to your Facebook account menu and click “Settings” (Account Settings).
3. Click “Apps” on the left sidebar.
4. Locate any application that you recently installed or any unwanted app from the Apps list. *
* Note: Malicious apps may have common names like: Comments, Feed, etc.
5. Then click at the “X” on the right to remove the unwanted App.
6. Continue to the next step.
Step 2: Change your Facebook password.
While you ‘re still on your Facebook account settings page, proceed to change your Facebook password:
1. Click “General” at the left sidebar.
2. At the “Password” field click “Edit”.
3. Type your current password on the “Current” password box.
4. Type the new password on the “New” password box.
5. Re-type the new password on “Re-type new” password box.
6. Click “Save Changes”.
7. Close your Web browser and continue to the next step.
Step 3: Terminate and remove malicious processes with Rogue Killer:
- Download and run RogueKiller.
- Press the “Scan” button (when pre-scan operation is complete).
- Be patient until Rogue Killer scans your system.
- Finally review its findings and press the “Delete” button to clean all malicious entries.
Step 4: Uninstall adware software from your Control Panel.
- Open Windows Control Panel. In case you don't know how to do that, here is what you have to do:
- For Windows 8/7/Vista click at: Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features.
- For Windows XP click at: Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.
- From the program list, find and remove/uninstall any unknown or unwanted application.*
* Advice: Sort the installed programs by “Installed On” date and remove any other unknown or unwanted program that was recently installed on your computer.
Step 5. Remove Adware programs with AdwCleaner.
- Download “AdwCleaner” utility to your computer (e.g. your desktop).
- After you download it, close all open programs and run AdwCleaner.
- At the main window, press the “Scan” button and wait until the scan is completed.
- Finally press the “Clean” button to remove all the entries it has found and restart your computer.
Step 6: Remove junk ware files with JRT
- Download and run Junkware Removal Tool.
- Be patient until JRT scans and cleans your system and then reboot your computer again.
Step 7: Ensure that all Facebook virus settings, add-ons & extensions are removed from your Internet browser.
Now that you have done that, you must clean your internet browsers from toolbars, plugins and extensions that are still in there, and also change the default search engine back to Google or to whatever you like to use. The instructions on how to do that are different for each browser. Here are detailed instructions for Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome.
How to remove Facebook virus settings from Internet Explorer:
- From Internet Explorer's main menu, click: the “gear” icon at the top right corner and choose “Internet Options”.
- Go to “Advanced Tab”.
- Click the “Reset” button.
- Check to enable the “Delete Personal Settings”.
- Press “Reset”
- Close all Internet Explorer windows and restart your browser.
How to remove Facebook virus settings from Firefox:
- From Firefox Main menu choose “Help” > “Troubleshooting Information”
- Press the “Reset Firefox” button
- Press the “Reset Firefox” button again,
(After reset, Firefox restarts automatically.)
- Close all open Firefox windows.
How to remove Facebook virus settings from Chrome:
- Click on Chrome's menu icon at the upper right corner) and choose "Settings".
- Scroll down at “Settings” page and click “Show Advanced Settings…".
- Scroll down again and press the “Reset browser settings” icon.
- Click “Reset” one more time.
- Close Google Chrome.
Step 8: Remove remaining malicious registry entries and files.
- Download and install “Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free“. (Beware: at the last screen of installation, uncheck the box next to “Enable free Trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO” in order to use the free version of this GREAT software).
- Run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
- Update the Database.
- Press the “Scan Now” button and then wait until the scan process is finished.
- When the scan is completed select all items found and then press “Quarantine All”.
- Restart your computer if needed and you ‘re done.
One final step: Restart your computer and perform a full scan with your antivirus program.
That’s all folks! It might sound like a lot of work, but in reality you’ll be free from Facebook virus infection in less than 20 minutes, if you follow these instructions.
Did it work for you? Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about these really annoying crap Windows infections.