In Windows 10 there is no way to block the installation of a particular Windows Update(s) through 'Update & Security' settings, like in the previous Windows versions (Windows 7 or Windows Vista).
In Windows 10 the Windows Updates are set to be automatically installed, in order to keep your device always updated. In the other hand, several times, a Windows update, or an updated device driver, can cause significant problems on your computer operation and there is the need to uninstall it and then to block the specific update or driver from reinstalling in the future, until Microsoft fixes the issue(s) with it.
To fix problems with specific updates, Microsoft has released a tool that can block (hide) a specific unwanted Windows Update or Driver from reinstalling again on your system. The tool is called "Show or hide updates" and applies to Windows 10 based computers.
In this tutorial you can find detailed instructions on how to use the "Show or hide updates" tool, in order to prevent the installation of a specific Windows Update or Updated Driver on your Windows 10 system.
How to block Windows Update(s) and Updated driver(s) from being installed in Windows 10.
Notes: Before continue to block a specific Windows Update or Driver from being installed in Windows 10, first proceed to uninstall it, if it is already installed.
A. To uninstall a specific Windows 10 Update, go to:
- Start –> Settings –> Update and security –> Advanced options –> View your update history –> Uninstall Updates.
- Select the unwanted Update from the list and click Uninstall. *
B. To uninstall a specific Device Driver in Windows 10:
- Right click on the Start menu and select Device Manager.
- Locate the device driver that you want to uninstall and then right-click on it and select Uninstall.
- In the uninstall dialog, check the box to Delete the driver software for this device if available. *
* After uninstall:
1. Restart you computer and check for available updates…but DO NOT INSTALL them.
2. Close 'Update & Security' options and proceed to block the automatic installation of the Windows Update or Driver as described bellow.
To prevent the automatic installation of a specific Windows Update or an updated driver on Windows 10:
1. Download and save the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter tool. (Alternative download location: https://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wushowhide.html )
2. Run the Show or hide updates tool and select Next at first screen.
3. At the next screen choose Hide Updates.
4. Select the Update that you don't want to be installed and click Next.
5. Wait until the troubleshooter applies the appropriate changes on your system and then click Close.
– From now on, the selected updated Driver, or Windows Update, will not be installed automatically, until you run the Show or hide updates tool again and unblock the installation (Show Hidden Updates). *
* Note: I suggest to run the troubleshooting tool again to make sure the change has been made.
That’s all! Did it work for you?
Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about this solution.