If you face the Windows Update error: "Something went wrong. Try to reopen Settings later" in Windows 10, then continue reading below to find out how you can resolve the problem. The error "Something went wrong. Try to reopen Settings later" usually appears when the Windows Update folder is corrupted or when one the needed Windows Update services are disabled.
This tutorial contains instructions, on how to solve the error "Something went wrong. Try to reopen Settings later" in Windows 10 Update.
How to FIX Windows Update problem: Something went wrong. Try to reopen Settings later.
Method 1. Re-Download the Windows Update(s).
The most effective solution to troubleshoot Windows update problems, is to force Windows to download the updates from scratch. To do that:
Step 1: STOP the Windows Update Service.
1. Open Windows Services control panel: To do that:
2. In Services control panel locate the "Windows Update" service.
3. Right-click on Windows Update service and select "Stop".
Step 2: Delete the SoftwareDistribution folder.
1. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to: C:\Windows folder.
2. Find and Delete the "SoftwareDistribution" folder (or rename it. e.g. to "SoftwareDistributionOLD") . *
* Note: If you cannot delete the folder, start Windows in Safe Mode.
Step 3: START the Windows Update Service.
1. Open Windows Services control panel.
2. Right-click on Windows Update service and select "Start".
Step 4. Go to Windows Update options and and click Check for Updates.
Method 2. Enable the Required Windows Update Services by modifying Registry.
In order to turn on Windows 10 updates, you have to enable the below mentioned services from Windows Registry:
- Update Orchestrator Service (UsoSvc)
- Windows Update Medic Service (WaaSMedicSvc)
- Windows Update Service (wuauserv)
3. In Windows registry editor locate the following key:
4. Look at the right pane and double click at Start DWORD value.
5. Change the value data from the default value 4 to 2 and click OK. *
* Service Startup States according the "Start" DWORD Value:
0 = Boot
1 = System
2 = Automatic
3 = Manual
4 = Disabled
6. Perform the same actions and change the value data of Start DWORD value, from 4 to 2 on the following keys:
7. When done, close registry editor and restart your computer.
8. Navigate to Windows Update and see if the error "Windows Update Something went wrong. Try to reopen Settings later" has been resolved.
Method 3. Restore Windows Update settings to Default with StopUpdates10 utility.
StopUpdates10 is a free program that can block the Windows updates in Windows 10 by modifying the system settings. Instead of that, the program can restore back the required settings and services in order to re-enable the updates in Windows 10.
1. Download and install the StopUpdates10 tool on your PC.
2. At the last step of the installation, keep checked only the Launch StopUpdates10 option and click Finish.
3. Click the Restore Windows Updates button.
4. When the operation is completed, close the StopUpdates10 application and restart your PC.
5. After restart, navigate to Windows Update center and see if the error persists. If everything is OK, uninstall the StopUpdates10 tool and you're ready.
Method 4. Repair Windows 10.
The next method to resolve the error "Something went wrong. Try to reopen Settings later" in Windows update, is to repair Windows by using the SFC and the DISM commands. To do that:
1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
2. In command prompt give the following dism command and press Enter:
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
3. When the DISM operation is completed, type the following command and hit Enter:
- sfc /scannow
4. Now wait until the System File Checker repairs the Windows System Files.
5. When this done, restart your computer and see if the problem is solved.
That’s all folks! Did it work for you?
Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about this solution.