If there is no history of the commands used before in RUN command box on Windows 10, continue reading below to fix the problem.
A few days now, I realized that my Windows 10 machine doesn't keep the RUN command history of the previous commands. After investigating the problem, I found that Windows 10/11 Run command does not save the history of commands used, if the Privacy setting "Let Windows track app launches to improve Start and search results" is set to Off.
How to FIX: No History of Previous Commands in RUN command box on Windows 11/10.
Method 1. Allow Windows to Track App Launches in Privacy settings.
Windows 10/11 can track the most frequently used applications to personalize the Start menu according to your needs. So, the first method to enable the RUN command box history, is to allow Windows to track app launches in Privacy settings. To do that:
1. Go to Start > Settings and open Privacy in Windows 10, or choose Privacy and security in Windows 11.
2. In Privacy and security options, set the Let Windows track app launches to improve Start and search results to ON. *
* Note: In case this option is greyed out, apply the instructions on method-2 below.
3. That's it. Now open the RUN command box, type and run few commands and you will see the problem solved.
Method 2. Turn On App Launch Tracking in Registry.
The second method to enable the command history in RUN command box, is to allow the apps launch tracking via Registry.
1. Open Registry Editor. To do that:
2. In Registry Editor, navigate to the following location:
3. On the right pane, double-click on Start_TrackProgs REG_DWORD and change the Value data to 1 and hit OK.
4. Close the Registry Editor and restart your PC.
That’s all folks! Did it work for you?
Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about this solution.