If Windows cannot connect to network printer with error "Operation failed with error 0x0000011b", or if your receive the error 0x0000011B when trying to print to a network printer on Windows 10, continue reading below to fix the problem.
The error 0x0000011B in network printing, appears because Microsoft on September 14, 2021 enabled by default the CVE-2021-1678 mitigation to increase the RPC authentication level. Printing error 0x0000011B is commonly seen on small Windows domain-less networks that are not protected by Kerberos security.
This tutorial contains instructions to resolve the Windows error 0x0000011b when adding a network printer on Windows 10.
How to FIX: "Operation Failed with error 0x0000011b – Windows cannot connect to the printer" on Windows 10/7 OS.
Method 1. Add Network Printer using a Local Port.
The best way to bypass the error 0x0000011B when installing a network printer on Windows 10, is to manually add the printer by using a local port.
1. Navigate to Control Panel > Devices and Printers.
2. Click Add a printer.
3. At the next screen, click The printer that I want isn't listed.
4. Select Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings and click Next.
5. Click Create a new port and select Local Port from the drop-down menu. Click Next.
6. At the screen specify the port name in one of the following formats and click OK:*
a. If the computer name of the computer that shares the network printer is "Computer01" and the printer's share name is "HP1100" then the port name is "\\Computer01\HP1100"
b. If the IP Address of the computer that shares the network printer is "192.168.1.20" and the printer's share name is "HP1100" then the port name is "\\192.168.1.20\HP1100"
7. At the next screen select the network printer model and click Next. *
* Note: If you cannot find the printer's model here, then download the printer driver from the manufacturer and then install the printer locally on your PC (LPT1). After installation, perform again the steps on this method to manually install the printer by using the "Local Port" option.
8. When the printer installation is completed print a test page to test the printer and you're done.
Method 2. FIX Error 0x0000011b via Registry.
Another method to solve the error 0x0000011B in network printers, is to disable the increase authentication level for printer IRemoteWinspool by modifying the RpcAuthnLevelPrivacyEnabled REG_DWORD value in registry. *
* Note: Please note that after implementing this solution you will no longer be protected from the Windows Print Spooler Spoofing Vulnerability CVE-2021-1678, but you can apply this solution if you cannot install your network printer after following the instructions in method 1 above.
3. In Registry Editor navigate to the following key:
4. Right-click at an empty space at the right pane and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value
5. Give at new value the name: RpcAuthnLevelPrivacyEnabled
6. Double-click at the RpcAuthnLevelPrivacyEnabled value, set the value data to 0 and click OK.
7. Close the registry editor.
8. Restart your computer.
9. Now try to connect to your network printer. The error 0x0000011B should be resolved.
That's all folks! Did it work for you?
Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about this problem.