The following issue was encountered on a Windows based computer: Adobe Acrobat Reader DC fails to install because "Newer version already installed". The weird with this problem, is that Adobe Reader DC has not have been installed on the machine, because there isn't exist any trace of the Adobe Reader program or files either on Add/Remove programs or in the hard drive.
Additionally, when troubleshooting the installation problem "a new version already installed" of Adobe Reader DC program, the following error message occurred when trying to install the program using the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution package: "Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as a part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor…."
This tutorial contains detailed steps and instructions to resolve the following errors when installing Adobe Reader DC: "A new version already installed" & "Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package" in Windows 10/8/7 OS.
How to FIX Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Installation Problems: Newer Version already installed – Error 1722 Problem with the Installer Package.
Method 1. Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool.
The first step to fix the installation problems of Adobe Reader DC, is to remove all previous installations of Adobe Acrobat & Adobe Reader, by using the Acrobat Reader DC & Adobe Acrobat DC Cleanup utility * and then to install Adobe Reader DC.
* The Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool is designed to clean Adobe Acrobat & Adobe Reader corrupted installations, including removing or fixing corrupted files, removing or changing permissions registry entries, etc..
Method 2. Run Microsoft's Program Install & Uninstall Troubleshooter.
1. Download the Program Install & Uninstall Troubleshooter from Microsoft.
2. Run the downloaded program and click next at the first screen.
3. When prompted click Uninstalling
4. Select the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC program and select Next.* Then follow the onscreen instructions to fix the problem.
* Note: If you don't see the 'Adobe Acrobat Reader DC' in the list, click Cancel and run the troubleshooter again. But, this time choose "Installing" when prompted.
Method 3. Install Adobe Reader using the Full Acrobat Reader DC Installer Package.
Try to Install Adobe Reader DC by using the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution package.
Method 4. Start the Windows Installer Service.
1. Open Windows Services control panel: To do that:
- Press Windows + R keys to open the run command box.
- In the Search box, type: services.msc & click OK.
- (Accept the UAC warning if appears).
2. In Services control panel right click at Windows Installer service and click Start. *
* Note: If the service is started then click Restart.
Method 5. Re-Register the Windows Installer Service.
1. Open Command Prompt As Administrator.
2. Type the following commands in order (press Enter after typing each command)
- msiexec /unregister
- msiexec /regserver
3. Close command prompt window and restart your computer.
4. Try to install Acrobat Reader DC.
Method 6. Install Windows Updates and Visual C++.
1. Install all available Windows Updates.
2. Install the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015
3. Try to install Acrobat Reader DC.
That's all folks! Did it work for you?
Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about this solution.