What is “WebCake” apps?
“Webcake” is a malicious software that installed without user knowledge in common Internet browsers in order to redirect browsing results into ads from unknown publishers.
Why you should remove it?
The “Webcake” application was most probably installed on your computer without your knowledge and hijacks your browser settings in order to redirect your web searches to advertisements and earn money. Programs like this, are quite often bundled in the installation files of other legitimate programs (software tools and stuff). People go through the installation (of the legitimate software) without noticing that they are also installing additional software (like toolbars) that is not necessary for the legitimate software to run.
You MUST remove “Webcake” infection A.S.A.P. Your computer is at a great risk! Never underestimate the power that browser hijackers can have on your life.
How to uninstall “WebCake” from your computer?
You can easily get rid of “WebCake” infection by following the steps given bellow:
Step 1. Terminate and remove malicious running programs.
- Download and run RogueKiller.
- Press the “Scan” button (when prescan is complete) to find and “Delete” all malicious entries.
Step 2: Uninstall WebCake from your control panel
- Open Windows control panel. In case you don’t know how to do that, here is what you have to do:
- For Windows 8/7/Vista click at: Start > Control Panel >Programs and Features.
- For Windows XP click at: Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.
- From the program list find and remove/uninstall the following applications:
Step 3. Remove “WebCake” Adware by using AdwCleaner.
- Download “AdwCleaner” utility to your computer (e.g. your desktop).
- After you download it, close all open programs and run AdwCleaner.
- At the main window, press the “Scan” button and wait until the scan is completed.
- Finally press the “Clean” button to remove all the entries it has found and restart your computer.
Step 4: Ensure that all “WebCake” extensions are removed from your Internet browser.
- From Internet Explorer’s main menu, click: “Tools ” (the gear icon) and choose “Manage Add-ons“.
- Click on “Toolbars and Extensions” options at the left pane.
- Select any “WebCake” extension that exists there and click “Disable“..
- Press the Firefox menu button (from the top left) and choose “Add-ons”.
- Click “Extensions” on the left pane.
- Remove the unwanted “WebCake” extension by clicking the “remove” button.
- Click on Chrome’s menu (the gear icon at the upper right corner) and choose “Settings“.
- Choose “Extensions” on the left pane.
- Remove the unwanted “WebCake” from there by pressing the “recycle icon” to the right.
Step 5: Remove remaining malicious registry entries and files.
- Download and install “Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free“. (Beware: at the last screen of installation, uncheck the box next to “Enable free Trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO” in order to use the free version of this GREAT software).
- Run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and at the “Scanner” tab. select the “Quick Scan” option and press the “Scan”.button.
- Wait until this process is finished. Then click the “Show Results” button to review its findings.
- Right-click to “Select All” items found and press the “Remove Selected” button.
- Restart your computer if needed and you ‘re done.
That’s all folks! It might sound like a lot of work, but in reality you’ll be free from the “WebCake” infection in less than 20 minutes, if you follow these instructions. Did it work for you? Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about these really annoying crap Windows infections.