EML files, are archived mail messages which created (saved) using Microsoft Outlook Express program. If you have changed your old Windows XP computer (with Outlook Express installed) to a new one with Windows 10, 8 or Windows 7 and you have EML files that you want to view, then you will realize that you cannot view these files. This happens because in latest Operating Systems, Microsoft doesn’t offer a native email client to open .EML files.
If you have .EML files (Outlook Express archived e-Mails) from your old computer and you want to view these .eml files in a Windows 10, 8 or 7 computer, then you have the following options:
How to view EML files in Windows 8, 8.1 & 10.
Method 1. View .EML files with Microsoft Word.
If you have Microsoft Word installed on your computer, then;
1. From File menu choose Open.
2. Choose to view All Files.
3. Select the .EML file that you want to view and click Open.
Method 2. View .EML files with Windows Live Mail.
The second option you have to open .EML messages, is the Windows Live Mail, a free program from Microsoft which is part of Windows Essentials.
1.Download and save Microsoft’s Windows Live Essentials setup application to your computer.
2. Launch wlsetup-web.exe application and at the first setup screen select Choose the programs you want to install.
3. At the next screen leave checked only the Mail program and click Install.
4. When the installation is completed, you will be able to open .EML files on your computer. Just right-click on an .EML message and choose Open with > Windows Live Mail.
Method 3. Change .EML extension to .MHT.
Another good way method, to open .EML messages is to change the extension from .EML to .MHT in order to view them in Internet Explorer. To do that:
1. Go to Control Panel > Folder Options.
2. At View tab, uncheck the Hide extensions for know file types and click OK.
3. Then change the .EML extension to .MHT. (e.g. from “Samle.eml” to “Sample.mht“).
4. Double click on the .MHT file to view it with Internet Explorer.
That’s all folks! Did it work for you?
Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about this.